Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy some gorgeous cafes and eating places I've discovered in and around Cape Town

Apr 28, 2012

Arnolds, Kloof Street, Cape Town

Away from the comfort zone of my usual local stomping ground, I found myself in Kloof Street this week, having undertaken what we jokingly refer to in this part of the world as the"great trek" over the mountain to the city. I was off to see a midday movie at the one-of-a-kind Labia Theatre in Orange Street, and afterwards my friend and I walked a couple of blocks looking for a cafe to grab coffee and a sandwich. Arnolds looked like a cheerful and casual refuge from the grey winter clouds pushing down on us, and the bright orange walls, happy music and ridiculously chirpy waitrons gave us a warm welcome. The place has been there for ages and has quite a history and reputation, which you can read about in detail on their website and also check out the menu with some unusual suspects like warthog and crocodile ribs! But we weren't walking on the wild side and settled for one all-day-breakfast special at R26 and one toasted cheese and tomato with pesto on ciabatta, at R35.  Ya, boring I know, but my sandwich was tasty and generous and I couldn't finish it. My friend ordered tea and was delighted to get a whole pot of it, and I had a so so filter coffee. Really letting the side down here, in the quest for the best americano, maybe it was the weather or the movie playing in our heads. There's an extensive menu which really caters for every taste and pocket, starting at a free-range lite breakfast at only R15, believe it or not, and ending at gemsbok steak for about R150. Inbetween are all the usual sandwiches, salads, pastas and sweet treats. Fully licensed with some interesting cocktails, there was a lot of champagne cork popping while we were there. It's busy and buzzy, has the biggest pepper grinder in town, and Chris ("Shoes"), our waiter, was on top form, having mastered to perfection the art of attentive and discreet service spiked with a dash of friendly flirtation with ladies of a certain age.  Great 3 spoon service!  Vist the website

No comments:

Post a Comment