Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy some gorgeous cafes and eating places I've discovered in and around Cape Town

Apr 24, 2012

Cherry On Top, Bergvliet

Discovered this unpretentious little place tucked down Hawthorn Road in Bergvliet, next to the line of shops where Woollies is. What a find! If you're needing some impressive sweet nothings for your next girlie tea, this is the place. Just look at these tiny fruit tarts, the detail that went into them, and they cost only - wait for it - R5,50 each! Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it.  Then there are the little cheesecakes, the tiramisu, the chocolate brownies, the lemon tarts...

This was one of those impulsive coffee outings as I was in need of some sweet TLC. My friend had O.D'd on chocolate earlier in the day, so was all sugared out and settled for coffee, which came with two of the teeniest crunchies ever. I had my usual Americano, which was just ok, and a darling little tiramisu. Oh me oh my, what a delicious treat. In the interests of you, dear blog reader, I decided I should try something else as well, so had the lemon meringue. The choice of delectables in the display case is a bit overwhelming at first and one would probably have to visit several times in order to work through everything on offer. A regular size tart or cake costs R12,50, a crazy price for something you would pay double for at most restaurants. Baked cheesecake looks like the real deal, and next time I'm in the area...

The setting isn't the most glamorous. It's a working bakery after all, and there are pies, quiches, bread and rolls for sale, plus they also create cakes for special occasions.. We sat at one of several tables on the stoep.  I'm not too keen on the functional plastic tablecloths and would prefer something more attractive, but if it's absolute value for money you're after, this is a good option. The place has only been open for a few months and it's definitely worth checking out if you have a sweet tooth.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous17 May, 2014

    Do you perhaps have a new contact no as they have moved

    ReplyDelete